A recent study in 2015 presented findings that show just how prevalent poor spinal health is to the average person without the necessity of pain or symptoms. In my opinion, this study clearly shines light on the myth that Chiropractic is mostly only valuable for pain.
Spinal Degeneration In The Absence of Symptoms
We know that abnormal spinal biomechanics, labeled subluxation by Chiropractors, can be present in the absence of symptoms. The facts simply show that serious spinal degeneration can be present with no symptoms. Some of the important findings in the study are as follows:
- 37% of asymptomatic 20 year-olds have disc degeneration. 96% of asymptomatic 80 year-olds have it.
- 30% of asymptomatic 20 year-olds have bulging discs. 84% of asymptomatic 80 year-olds have it.
- 29% of asymptomatic 20 year-olds have disc protrusion (a kind of herniated disc). 40% of asymptomatic 80 year-olds have it.
- 19% of asymptomatic 20 year-olds have annular fissure (a tear in the tissue filling intervertebral space). 29% of asymptomatic 80 year-olds have it.
As far as I’m concerned, this lays a foundation for helping validate the necessity that all infants, children, and adults be checked for subluxation on a regular basis to prevent abnormal spinal biomechanics. Which we know has significant neurological implications!
Spinal Degeneration Leads to Decreased Health
The degeneration of a human’s spine correlates with the deterioration of overall health and function of the body. Poor posture and abnormal spinal health link directly to an increased risk of disease, disability, and pain. Many of these problems can be avoided by correcting and maintaining the health and condition of the spine.
A small, unfelt misalignment in the spine can create significant long-term health consequences. That is why we constantly remind you and the public about the vital necessity of good spinal health.
Nothing improves spinal health better than regular Chiropractic evaluations and adjustments for adults and kids of all ages. Safe and effective Chiropractic care benefits all ages, including infants who experience abnormal spinal alignment and nervous system interference through the birth process.
Research will continue to prove the necessity of Chiropractic for the purpose of staying mobile, healthy, and pharmaceutical-free for as long as possible. Nothing better prepares the body for that possibility like regular Chiropractic care.
Spinal Immobility Produces Degeneration
Research clearly states that degeneration occurs within a misaligned spine or a spine not moving appropriately. A study published in 2004 evaluated the spine of mice when researchers placed metal rods on their spinal vertebrae preventing specific vertebral movement.
Immobility in the spine almost immediately began producing significant decay and degeneration.
- Surfaces of the bone and discs showed degeneration after just one to four weeks of decreased movement in a spinal vertebra.
- Bone spurs began to form at the edges of the immobile vertebrae after four to eight weeks of reduced spinal vertebral mobility.
- The most important finding of this research showed that irreversible degeneration resulted if movement was not restored within the first one-to-four-week time frame.
The same research applied to humans.
The degenerative process sets in when a spinal vertebra loses mobility. The degenerative process serves as a protective mechanism. Bone spurs operate much like callouses that grow on the surface of the hand or feet from repeated stress to protect that area.
Reducing or preventing the degenerative process from settling into the vertebrae and discs comes from keeping the spine aligned and moving. Chiropractors detect any misaligned or poorly moving vertebrae and adjust them to their proper position in order to restore proper function.
Alignment rejuvenates function in the brain and neurological function of the body. Adjustments reverse and prevent the deterioration of discs, joints, and vertebrae. That is why every member of the family should be checked for subluxation and properly adjusted for life to minimize damage and optimize function!
WHO IN YOUR FAMILY STILL NEEDS TO GET CHECKED FOR SUBLUXATION? SCHEDULE THEM TODAY!!